![]() |
| Road trip! |
Race days rolls around and temps were expected to be mid 50s for the entire race. Can't complain about that! Liz and I got there really early as advised and had no issues with traffic and parking, which is something I always worry about on race day. Another thing I worry about is if I'll have time to go to the bathroom 2-3 times. Well, 7:00 AM was approaching quickly and lines were so long. I realized I'd have to forgo one last trip and just stop at the port-a-john I saw at the 5K mark. Race starts and I realize I can get to it before mile 1, so I took advantage of the pit stop and still knocked out an 8:30 first mile!
![]() |
| Talk about pretty views! |
To my surprise, I settled into a low 8 minute pace. By mile 3, I knew it was going to be a good day. I just felt calm and knew that God had some great stuff planned for me. I have to admit I kept telling myself until mile 25 not to get ahead of myself, but then I would just reply to myself that I felt great and it was going to be a memorable day. I realized a guy nearby was pacing a girl to 3:35, so I decided to just tuck in with them and see what happened. My goal for the halfway mark was 1:50. I figured 1:50 gave me a cushion to still go sub-4 if I started having issues, but it also put me in a good position if I was feeling good. I hit halfway just under 1:47 and was feeling good so I decided to pick it up.
The course was beautiful (2-loop course with shade and water views), the volunteers were great (best ones I've ever seen at a race), and the miles continued to go by easily and I was passing people left and right, which was a huge mental boost. I thought about my sweet Bella. I thought about how Liz would be surprised to see me so early. I thought about my friends who run so many miles with me. I thought about how proud Jason and my family would be. I thought about how life flourishes when you trust in God and the path he has planned for you. These thoughts kept me moving. I started to get tired, but knew I'd be close to 3:30, so I just kept pushing it and telling myself to keep moving. I finished with the last mile in 7:45 and crossed the line in 3:31:02. Mind blown.
![]() |
| Happy girls! Liz rocked a sub 3:27! PRs and BQs for both of us! |
I cried when I finished. A year ago I wasn't sure how much I would be able to run going forward. I was told that I would run slower and run shorter. I thought that PRs and BQs were years away, if they ever happened again, but I have always kept a little sliver of hope. It's amazing what happens when you trust in God, never lose hope, and then just run for the love of running.
In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.
Proverbs 16:9
Proverbs 16:9
Race notes: Ran w/orange Amazon water in handheld; 3 honey stinger chews every other mile starting at mile 7; pancakes for lunch and pizza for dinner day before along with lots of water plus Amazon water with salt; Gatorade day before and morning of; bread & PB plus cuties and part of Odwalla bar for pre-race breakfast.



