Thursday, March 7, 2013

Cauliflower Pizza Crust - Yum!

I had seen cauliflower pizza crust mentioned a few places and decided to give it a go.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was really tasty!  Plus, cauliflower is a good source of vitamin C.

Ingredients:
 -One head of cauliflower grated down to the stalks
-2 free range eggs
-1 cup of mozzeralla cheese

-Spices (I used basil, oregano, garlic powder, and garlic salt.)
-1 tsp of salt (Only needed if you don't use garlic salt above.)
-1/4 cup of organic brown rice flour*

*None of the recipes I read listed flour, but to me the mixture seemed very moist, so I added a little bit of flour.  If you do not have brown rice flour, I would forgo adding flour as using standard flour adds gluten and empty carbs.

Directions:
Makes 1 14-inch pizza (large baking stone)

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2. Grate cauliflower - This is the most time consuming step (and it doesn't really take long).  Some recipes I read said you could put it in a food processor and then drain the liquid out.   I didn't feel like dealing with an extra step or extra dirty dishes, so I put the cheese grater in a big mixing bowl and grated until the "flower" parts were gone.  I did not measure out how much I had, but I would approximate the amount to be about 4 cups of cauliflower, give or take a little bit.

3. Add spices and cheese.  Mix.

4. Add eggs. Mix until well blended.

5. Lightly grease baking stone and spread dough evenly.  I found it super easy to scoop from bowl and spread with a plastic spatula/spoonula.   

6. Bake for 20 minutes or until top of crust starts to brown.  Remove from oven.

7. Add cheese and toppings and put under broiler until cheese starts to brown.

**NOTES:

-The crust isn't as durable as normal bread dough crust, so it's easier to eat if you cut small slices.
-It stuck a little bit to the stone, so use a thin metal spatula if you have one.
-I'm not sure what leaving the cheese out of the crust does to the consistency, but I might try next time since there's cheese on top of the pizza. My guess is it might help hold everything together as it melts.

Crust pre-baking

Yummy!

Recipe adapted from sparkpeople